Saturday, May 30, 2009

Beulah's North Carolina Deviled Eggs

"I want to eat deviled eggs, but I don't want anyone to see me eating them." -- Guy at the BBQ last night, right before devouring a deviled egg.


What it is about deviled eggs that makes people feel so...for lack of a less offensive word, white trash-y? There's no shame in mixing egg yolks with mayonnaise and stuffing them back into the eggs from whence they came, people!

I started making my Grandma Beulah's deviled egg recipe quite frequently last summer, when I would inevitably have some sort of barbeque to attend every weekend, and they're a hit every time. In fact, among my little social group, they've become sort of a tradition. You bring them to a party and everyone says, "Wow! I haven't had deviled eggs in forever!" and then person after person proceeds to pop them into their mouths like candy. Why anyone would be embarrassed to enjoy such a simple summertime delight is beyond my understanding.

Don't be ashamed to make this easy and delicious picnic classic - your friends will thank you.

DEVILED EGGS

INGREDIENTS
Makes 23-24 deviled eggs (sometimes there's not enough filling to fill the last one or two egg whites)

1 dozen large eggs
Hellman's mayonnaise (about 1/2 cup)
Mustard (a good hefty squeeze)
salt and pepper
couple dashes vinegar
pinch of sugar
paprika for sprinkling

sweet pickle relish, if you want to make them that way (about 1/4 c.)

STEP ONE:

Boil the eggs. Remove from the hot water and place in a bowl of ice water and put them in the fridge to cool down. When they are cool, peel the eggs.

STEP TWO:

Cut the eggs in half and place the yolks in a medium bowl. Place the whites on a plate.

STEP THREE:

Mash the yolks, and add all the other ingredients. Mix together until semi-smooth. Fill the eggs with the yolk mixture. Top with the paprika as a garnish.


Once my deviled eggs became an institution, my friend bought me a deviled egg carrier as a birthday gift, which has turned out to be more amazing and handy than I ever thought possible.


Happy Summer! Thanks for reading. More soon...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails