Thursday, May 28, 2009

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Muffins

Sometimes I really can't help myself.


I'll be sitting at home, relaxing, flipping through a cooking magazine, cookbook, or perusing a cooking blog - and rather than just being satisfied with some light food-related reading, I will be compelled to jump off the sofa, run to the Market, and make whatever latest recipe has struck my fancy. In the case of dinner, that's usually a good thing; in the case of baking, sometimes that can be a bad thing, because I'm almost always left with an exorbitant number of baked goods that one girl alone simply cannot consume.

On that note, muffins anyone?

I just couldn't put down my copy of Quick Vegetarian Delights, and when I came across this recipe for Oatmeal Muffins, I immediately started fantasizing about splitting them open, slathering them with cream cheese, and having them all week long with my morning tea.

Cut to me scurrying through my alley - weaving around rats like they're orange parking cones - and popping into the store for the one ingredient I didn't have on hand (plain yogurt).

I made this recipe pretty much to the letter, only I used whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour. I also skipped the sugar/butter topping.


OATMEAL MUFFINS

INGREDIENTS

1 and 1/4 c. rolled oats
1 and 1/4 c. buttermilk, or plain lowfat yogurt
1 c. unbleached flour (as I mentioned, I used whole wheat)
1 and 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. raisins (didn't go there - I hate raisins)
1 large egg
1/2 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
5 T. unsalted butter, melted

TOPPING

1 T. unsalted melted butter
1 T. firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 c. rolled oats
1/8 tsp. cinnamon

STEP ONE:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, beat together the oats and the buttermilk or yogurt, and let sit 15 minutes. Meanwhile, butter the insides and top of a regular-sized muffin pan.

STEP TWO:

In a small bowl, throroughly combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and raisins.

STEP THREE:

Beat the egg, brown sugar, and melted butter into the oat mixture. Stir in the dry ingredients until just evenly combined. Spoon the batter into the muffin pan.

STEP FOUR:

Combine the ingredients for the topping and sprinkle some on top of each muffin. Bake 17 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before removing from the pan. Serve warm, not hot.*


*Since patience is not one of my virtues, I ate one while it was hot. It was delicious.


These is a nice, base muffin recipe. One to experiment with, for sure. I'm curious how they'd taste if you used vanilla yogurt instead of plain, and of course there are a zillion dried fruits to add - I'm a fan of dried cranberries and apricots. Fresh fruit would be great too - blueberries, strawberries, raspberries...


I just remembered something I saw at the farmer's market a couple weeks ago: a jar of vanilla-lavender peach compote - the vendor was sold out last time I went, but oh mama would that be good spread on one of these! This Saturday, I'm getting there early.

Thanks for reading! More soon...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails