Monday, March 23, 2009

Recession: Party of One - Detox Soup

After a particularly indulgent weekend, it's nice to have a meal that erases the guilt - if not the sordid memories - just a bit.

Since this past weekend was all about celebration, I thought I should eat something wholesome, light, but still really satisfying. Soup, for me, almost always fits that description.


I had never really tapped into my love of soup until I moved to bone-cold Chicago, but I have to say, the world of soup it's opened up to me makes the winters almost worth it.

This is a soup that takes just a little bit of chopping to prep, and not much hands-on cooking at all, unless you count the occasional stir.

BUTTERNUST SQUASH & RED CABBAGE DETOX SOUP

NOTE: I use the word "detox" loosely - this is not part of an actual detox diet.

INGREDIENTS

1/4 of a small red cabbage, thinly sliced
1/3 of a small butternut squash, cut into small chunks
3 c. chicken broth
1 can stewed tomatoes
1/2 c. chickpeas
several sprigs thyme, leaves only
1 T. butter
1 T. olive oil
1/4 c. wild and brown rice blend (or any rice)
1/4 c. protein-enriched angel hair pasta, broken into pieces
salt and pepper
dash of cayenne pepper
a few dashes white wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced

1 thin slice French bread
grated Parmagiano Reggiano

STEP ONE:

In a large stockpot, heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about one minute. Add the cabbage and thyme leaves, and cook for 5-6 minutes, seasoning with a little salt and pepper, until it begins to soften.

STEP TWO:

Add the rest of the ingredients with the exception of the pasta. Cover, turn heat to medium-high, and cook for about 20-30 minutes, until rice grains are tender. Add the pasta about 8 minutes before you're ready to serve the soup. Give it an occasional stir.

STEP THREE:

Toast the bread in the toaster. Grate the Parmesan over the bread as son as it comes out, and melt it in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds if needed. Serve with the soup. Enjoy!

Easy, right?

This soup came out really tasty - whether or not health is the goal, it would be delicious either way. The only thing I'd change is the rice & pasta - I'd replace them with orzo (whole wheat orzo, if that even exists, would be ideal). The rice didn't get quite as tender as it should have (although when I eat the leftovers, it will most likely be perfect), and the pasta was just a little annoying, as it kept sliding off my spoon.

This made about 3-4 servings of soup - definitely enough to have for a few days of lunches. Which brings us to the PARTY OF ONE PRICE INDEX:

CABBAGE: 44 cents
BUTTERNUT SQUASH: 36 cents
CHICKPEAS: 20 cents
TOMATOES: 55 cents
CHICKEN BROTH: 80 cents

Everything else I already had or is a pantry staple, which brings our per-serving GRAND TOTAL to:

78 cents!!!

Wow, that might be the most economical R: P of 1 meal yet! No wonder soup has been a peasant staple for centuries.

A few more nights like this, plus a bikram yoga class or two, and I should be back to my fighting weight in no time.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails