Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Raspberry Oatmeal

I'm always surprised at the posts that prove to be the most popular. My popularity scale is based mainly around comments and "likes" on Facebook (not exactly scientific, I admit), but that's all I have to go on.


The last surprisingly popular post was my Peanut Butter Oatmeal. Who would've thought that a humble bowl of oatmeal would inspire commentary - and several fans to try it themselves at home! I was, frankly, flattered that so many friends wanted to make my version of oatmeal for breakfast. So, in the spirit of democracy, I present to you Oatmeal Part Deux: Ridiculously Raspberry. Back and berrier than ever!


And speaking of being, ahem, back, you may (or may not) have been wondering about my recent absence. That, my friends, is called the 80-hour work week. While it only comes around every once in awhile, it's always a doozy. Now that the back-to-back 16-hour days fueled with Thai takeout and cans of Diet Coke salvaged (stolen) from conference rooms are behind me, I'm back in the kitchen trying to get my nutrition - and blog! - back on track.


So thanks for bearing with me, and thanks for being as passionate about oatmeal as I am! This simple, yet defiantly magenta, oatmeal was borne - as many of my dishes are - from the need to clean out the fridge and save innocent produce from meeting its maker in the trash bin. Rather than let that half pint of berries go to waste - and bored with putting berries merely on top of things - I dumped them into the oatmeal as it was cooking, and they just melted right in. I had to take a photo of the gorgeous bright pink concoction my aversion to waste created! The taste was exactly as you'd imagine - really, really raspberry-y. It gave a hearty cold-weather breakfast a summery twist.


I hope this oatmeal post proves as irresistible as the first. Thanks, as always, for reading. Eat well and enjoy life!

INGREDIENTS

1 cup water
1/2 cup steel cut oats
pinch of salt
1-2 T. brown sugar
1 T. butter
1/2 pint fresh raspberries
cold milk (optional)

STEP 1:

Bring milk to a boil. Add salt and butter. Stir in oats and reduce heat to a simmer.

STEP 2:

Add sugar and raspberries. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until oats are tender and raspberries have dissolved into the oatmeal. Serve in a bowl topped with a little cold milk if you want. Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails