Monday, February 9, 2009

And This Little Piggy Drank and Drank, All The Way Home

Since Obama won the election, there hasn't been much of interest in the way of news. Until now....

I got a new Crockpot! (Anderson Cooper should be pulling up to my doorstep any minute now...)

I had been using my mom's old orange Crockpot from the 70's, and it finally just gave out on me, so it went the way of wilted Christmas trees - out into the back alley dumpster. Goodbye, little Crockpot! You served me well!


I got a new one for only $21 at Best Buy (who knew they sold appliances?). I love it! It's a deep brick red, and the inside ceramic bowl is removable, so you don't have to risk electric shock every time you wash it.

My first meal with it was a lean pork loin cooked in about a half bottle of white wine. I threw in some sweet potatoes, carrots, and onions, and served it with broccoli and sourdough bread (to soak up all the wine and porkiness).

I'm really glad I went with the Crockpot as the pork cooking method, because it was a very lean cut of meat, and it would've been very tough if I hadn't cooked it for hours. I actually wish I had cooked it on low for 7-8 hours as opposed to on high for about 4. Nonetheless, it was tender and flavorful. It wasn't a fearless meal, per se, but I snapped a photo of it because I thought it was yummy enough to share.

INGREDIENTS

1 two-pound lean pork roast, visible fat removed
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into large chunks
2 large carrots, peeled and chunked
1/2 large white onion, sliced
1/3 bottle of dry white wine
salt, pepper, ground cayenne pepper, and all-purpose seasoning
drizzle of olive oil
2 T. dijon mustard

1 c. cooking liquid from Crockpot
2 T. fruit preserves
1 T. butter
1 T. balsamic vinegar

1 head broccoli
2 slices white American cheese
1/2 c. milk
salt and pepper

sourdough bread
butter

STEP ONE.

Place the first set of ingredients into the Crockpot (through mustard). Set on low and cook for 7-8 hours, or cook on high for 4 hours.

STEP TWO.

When the pork is tender, remove from liquid and slice into thick pieces. Take 1 c. of the cooking liquid, preserves, butter, and vinegar, and cook over medium-high heat until reduced by half to make a sauce.

STEP THREE.

Cook broccoli in boiling water for 4-5 minutes. Drain. In the same pot, heat milk, cheese, and salt and pepper until smooth. Toss broccoli in cheese sauce. Serve with the pork, veggies, and bread & butter.

I admit, it might've been gilding the lily to do the cheese sauce with the broccoli, but I was craving broccoli and cheese. And - I'l just come out and admit it - I love American cheese. It's the lowliest of the cheeses, especially among the foodie set, but I defy you to find me a cheese that melts as well. I even used it the next day to make a leftover pork-and-cheese sandwich.

Thanks for reading. Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails